At any time, should a student feel he/she has been unfairly treated or discriminated against or have a problem with some aspect of Student Life or another student, the student may pursue the following procedure to have the problem heard:
- Discuss the matter with the immediate Director (defined throughout as the individual in charge of the program/service in question) from Student Life within five (5) business days from the date of the incident; the immediate Director will respond within three (3) business days. If the complaint is against the immediate Director, the student is to discuss the matter with another Student Life Director within five (5) business days from the date of the incident; a representative of Student Life will respond within three (3) business days. Mediation, defined here as discussion with the immediate persons involved with no legal representation, is optional but not required for complaints to be fully processed.
- If dissatisfied with the outcome of this first discussion, the student may submit within three (3) business days, a written statement that includes the facts of the case and the proposed solution. The student may present witnesses and other evidence relevant to the complaint. The written statement should be given to the immediate Director from Student Life. Within fourteen (14) days, the immediate Director from Student Life will conduct the investigation, and the investigation will be completed within ten (10) business days.
- All aspects of the student’s complaint and investigation will be kept confidential to the extent possible with regard to complaint filing, investigation, and disposition. The investigation will be conducted in an impartial manner and will include an impartial decision-maker. If the immediate Director cannot remain impartial, he/she will remove him/herself from the proceedings and assign the matter to the Vice President for Student Life, who will start the timeframe from the date the complaint was received.
- Following an investigation from either the immediate Director or Vice President for Student Life, the student will receive a written determination within ten (10) business days, upon the completion of the investigation. This written notice shall contain the outcome of the complaint and the basis for the decision.
- The student may appeal the findings in writing to the Vice President for Student Life within five (5) business days. The written appeal will be reviewed in an impartial manner by a panel consisting of either the Vice President for Student Life, one Director from Student Life and one student representative from the Student Government Association. In a case in which the Vice President of Student Life conducted the initial investigation, a panel consisting of two Directors from Student Life and one student representative from the Student Government Association will review the appeal. The decision of this panel will be final and will be provided within ten (10) business days from the date the written appeal was received.
- Retaliatory conduct against any individual who has filed a complaint, who is the subject of the harassment, who has provided information as a witness, or submitted an appeal will not be tolerated and will be grounds for discipline up to and including employment termination or expulsion. Further, complainants and witnesses will be disciplined for filing false complaints or providing false testimony during an investigation.