Holy Family University is proud to offer students a highly supportive learning environment that values their personal and professional goals. Students in our English program thrive in our small yet challenging learning environment. We believe in educating beyond the classroom and providing opportunities for hands-on experience, which is a key component of your college education.
What Can You Do With This Major?
In addition to those students who go on to pursue studies in graduate programs and careers in education, many of our graduates have found careers as:
• Corporate Communications Specialists
• Policy and Procedure Analysts
• Legislative Aides
• Technical Writers
• Grant Writers
• Editorial Assistants
• Advertising Copywriters
• Publications Assistants
The English major emphasizes period and genre literature courses and culminates in seminar study.
Some of the courses you will take as an English major include:
• American Literature I & II
• British Literature I & II
• World Literature I & II
• The English Language
• Creative Writing
English students can gain real-world experience through Holy Family’s nationally recognized co-op and internship program.
Some of the companies our students have worked with include:
• Advertising Specialty Institute
• NBC 10
• New Jersey State Aquarium
• Philly Edge
• WBCB 1490 AM Radio
• WHYY FM
Due to their excellent education, many of our English graduates have wonderful success stories in careers that stretch the boundaries of the expected.
Here are just a few of the positions our recent graduates hold:
• Director of Government Relations, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Southeastern Pennsylvania
• President, CMN Communications
• Vice President and Deputy General Counsel, Independence Blue Cross