Holy Family University is proud to offer students a highly supportive learning environment that values their personal and professional goals. Students in our Communications program thrive in our small yet challenging learning environment. As with all of our bachelor’s degree programs, we believe providing opportunities for hands-on experience beyond the classroom is a key component of your college education.
The Holy Family University Communications major studies the economic and cultural realities of the mass media industry. Within the Communications major, students may choose between two tracks: Media Studies and Public Relations. The goal of the major is to engender competent and trustworthy media professionals. To that end, both tracks produce graduates with creative production skills, critical thinking aptitude, problem solving proficiency, journalistic integrity, and knowledge of digital innovations.
Our students are able to create, produce, and use a variety of print, visual, and electronic media within a changing communications environment. Moreover, as refined throughout courses, their writing and journalistic skills are exemplary.
Designed to meet the needs and expectations of a growing program, our Communications Suite facilities include a TV/Radio Broadcasting Studio (with manual and robotic HD video cameras), a Digital Video Editing Room (with Final Cut Pro), and a Mac lab.
- The Communication program highly values student understanding of new media technology. To that end, two of our courses feature iPads, which the university provides for the semester. Every student keeps the iPad for the semester, using it before, during, and after class.
- Many Communication majors choose to minor in Social Media. This minor gives students experience working in new media, and permits them to become experts in digital marketing.
Some of the classes you will take as a Communications major include:
- Communication and Culture
- Digital Media
- Desktop Publishing
- Law and Ethics in Media
- Multi-Media Storytelling
- Public Relations
- Television and Electronic Media
- American Popular Culture
- Intro to Film: Theory and Practice
- Journalism II: News and Feature Writing
- Social Media
What Can You Do With This Major?
Our communication graduates find a wealth of opportunities in Philadelphia and around the nation and have wonderful success stories in careers that stretch the boundaries of the expected. Here are some of the positions our graduates hold:
- Sales and Marketing Assistant, Clear Channel Outdoor
- Writer/Editor, The Sports Network
- Promotions Director, SportsRadio 94 WIP
- Game Presentation Coordinator, Philadelphia Flyers
- Sales, Philadelphia Flyers
- Marketing Assistant and Association Coordinator, Lower Bucks Family YMCA
- Marketing Coordinator, Firstrust Bank
- Project Manager, Pharmaceutical Industry
- Search Manager, Razorfish Healthware
- Marketing Manager, DVL Group, Inc.
- Group & Events Manager, The Funplex
- Senior Content Editor, Dealnews.com
- Business Writer, Vertical Screen
- Licensed Camera Operator, International Sound Corporation
- Criminal Judicial Clerk, Bucks County
- Assistant Department Manager for General Merchandise, Barnes & Noble College
- Recruiter/Campus Minister, St. Vincent Academy Newark, NJ
Communications students gain real-world experience through Holy Family's nationally recognized internship placement program. Some of the companies our students have interned with include:
- Bucks County Courier Times
- Center City Film & Video
- Clear Channel Outdoor
- NBC 10
- Q 102 FM
- The Fan 97.5
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Philadelphia Film Office