Ph.D., English, Florida State University
M.F.A., Creative Writing, University of North Carolina Wilmington
B.F.A., Creative Writing, Editing and Publishing, University of North Carolina Wilmington
I believe successful teaching centers on developing critical thinking skills, analytical perspective, and creativity. These skills, coupled with the expression of one’s conclusions and ideas in clear concise language, both orally or in written word, are essential in any classroom. My goal is to bring my students beyond simple reporting of material and to motivate them to think outside of their comfort zones by combining their personal perspectives with new ideas, as well as with the larger critical conversation, in order to help them strengthen their writing and challenge their analytical thinking.
- Asking a Shadow to Dance: An Introduction to the Craft of Poetry. Great River Learning, forthcoming, 2019.
- “‘Arch-Talk’ and the Postmodern Gall of Josh Bell and Mark Bibbins,” New Ohio Review, spring 2018.
- “Christine de Pizan and Emily Dickinson: Feminine Power Through Textual Production,” The International Journal of The Book Volume 13, Issue 5, January 2
- “Georgic on the Boston Comma,” Cincinnati Review, forthcoming, 2018.
- “One-Man Cover Band,” Apalachee Review, forthcoming, 2018.
- “For A Moment I Feel Immortal, or, Rather, Disappointed,” “At Dinner When Someone Says Reading Poems Is Torture,” Passages North, forthcoming, 2018.
- “Cold Pastoral,” The Evansville Review, forthcoming, 2018.
- “At The Haunted Doll Market,” The Journal, 2017.
- “Etymology,” Copper Nickel, 2017.
- “Monument,” “I’ll Tell You The Same Thing I Told The Other Detective,” Queen Mobs Teahouse, 2016.
- “Oh, To Be a Center Fielder, a Center Fielder— and Nothing More!,” Hobart, 2016.
- “Coke Folks,” Berfrois, 2016.
- “Ancient Astronaut Theory,” The Awl, 2016.
- “For Ellison ‘Tarzan’ Brown, First Native American To Win The Boston Marathon,” OvenBird Poetry, 2016.
- “Not Holding The Gun,” “You, Strung,” New Ohio Review, 2015.
- “Iki Dugno,” Mid American Review, 2015.
- “Homecoming,” Ninth Letter, 2015.
- “Punk,” Southern Indiana Review, 2014.
- “With The Cash Register Under My Arm,” Day One, 2014.
- “The Birds of Montreal,” “The First Time We Have Sex After The Hospital,” Quarter After Eight, 2014.
- “Visiting,” The Greensboro Review, 2013.
- “Often We Leave Ourselves This Way,” South Dakota Review, 2013.
- “Sirens,” Pembroke Magazine, 2013.
- “To My Father Regarding My Criminal Past,” “Hollywood Ave,” Normal School, 2012.
- “Lafayette Indiana: Star City,” “Kentucky,” “New York,” “With Three Confederate Flags onThe Brim,” New Orleans Review, 2012.
- “What I’ve Learned About Love Because I Watch Horror Movies,” Barnstorm, 2012.
- “Learning To Disappear,” Masons Road, 2010.
- Draining The Swamp: Writing as Resistance and Social Responsibility in a Post-Truth Era,” Association of Writers & Writing Programs, Tampa, FL 2018.
- “Christine de Pizan and Emily Dickinson: Feminine Power through Textual Production,“ International Conference of The Book, London, UK. 2017.
- “Love and Sensuality in Contemporary International Poetry,” Other Words Conference, Tampa, FL. 2017.
- “The Craft of Music and Poetry,” Sanibel Writers Conference, Sanibel Island, FL 2017.
- “21st Century Troubadours,” Association of Writers & Writing Programs, Washington, DC 2017.
- “The Craft of Editing and Publishing,” University of North Carolina Wilmington, NC. 2016.
- “Poetry and Music: A Lineage of Similarity and Difference,” Other Words Conference, St.Augustine, FL. 2015.
- “The Producers: Performing the Sensual Act of Editing,” Association of Writers & Writing Programs Annual Conference, Boston, MA. 2013.
- Senior Editor, Narrative Magazine, 2017-Present
- Poetry Editor, Southeast Review, 2014-2016
- Marketing Editor, Chautauqua magazine, 2009-2011
Writer to Writer Program, Association of Writers & Writing Programs, 2018.
International Award For Excellence, Books, Publishing & Libraries Research Network, 2017.
New Ohio Review Poetry Prize, 2015.
Port Townsend Writers Conference Fellowship, 2013.
Vermont Studio Center Fellowship, 2010.
Chautauqua Arts Fellowship, 2008.