Director of Online Learning
Director of Online Learning
As part of Holy Family University’s Center for Teaching & Learning, the Director of Online Learning provides leadership for instructional technology university-wide; coordinates and implements training of faculty, staff and students in existing and future educational applications, technologies, and instructional programs; and provides leadership for the university’s distance education program.
Employees must understand the mission of Catholic Higher education and be committed to the core values, mission, goals, and objectives of Holy Family University.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide leadership and direction in the use of new and emerging technologies for the presentation of curriculum to students, instructional support and administrative processes, including but not limited to, distance education, multimedia, video conferencing, web-based instruction and other internet activities.
- Provide leadership in promoting student success as it relates to instructional technology and distance education
- Collaborate and provide leadership for the Committee for the Oversight of Blended and Online Learning (COBOL) in support of online teaching and learning.
- Collaborate with colleagues- to ensure the university meets Academic Affairs reporting requirements and regulations related to distance education and instructional technology (NC-SARA).
- Assist in the evaluation of effectiveness of hardware, software and multimedia related to instructional design and technology.
- Design and provide instruction and training to faculty and staff on Canvas (LMS) and supported educational technologies and other methods of digital delivery.
- Remain current with new technologies related to teaching and learning.
- Maintain and update training materials and documentation in alignment with university-wide policies.
- Manages e-learning projects.
- Collaborate with IT to manage vendor relationships.
- Oversee and manage Canvas, the University’s learning management system (LMS), including term dates, course building, coordination and release of updates, creation and maintenance of permissions, installation and configuration of Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI) apps, and more.
- Direct continuous improvement of the Canvas LMS by engaging key stakeholders in a collaborative working group to document emerging requirements and priorities.
- Provide input on process improvements, user experience issues, feature gaps, and lead their coordination and implementation. Collaborate with systems administration personnel, vendors, and stakeholders to ensure adequate and comprehensive availability and support of Canvas, and related systems. Coordinate with vendors and systems admin resources to plan and execute upgrades to the Canvas LMS and related applications and systems.
- Oversee and manage Canvas Help Desk ticket queues.
- Serve as advanced support for all Canvas issues escalated by Help Desk.
- Master’s degree in educational/instructional technology, instructional design, information technology, or related discipline
- At least two years of experience in an educational, instructional, or information technology position
- At least three years of experience as a learning management system administrator, Canvas experience preferred
- Experience coordinating LMS, instructional design, accessibility/universal design, digital media and/or instructional technology projects
- Experience making digital course materials accessible (document design, images, audio, video)
- Experience with web conferencing software and other teaching technologies
- Experience working with faculty, staff and students in a higher education environment
- Experience with Ellucian Colleague a plus
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Experience planning and advancing the use of educational technologies inside and outside the classroom.
- Demonstrate expertise integrating technology into curriculum using student centered learning principles and practices.
- Knowledge of educational methodologies related to curriculum development and technology.
- Knowledge of learning resource requirements, information and applications.
- Strong management or leadership skills as demonstrated by the ability to form professional relationships at all levels within the organization.
- Experience in blended and online learning.
- ability to assist faculty in course redesign for online teaching to meet pedagogical goals
- Experience developing and delivering training and training materials
- Possess an in-depth understanding of instructional technology issues related to learning in online, hybrid/blended, and traditional courses, as well as experience using a range of hardware and software tools to develop multimedia assets and learning materials
- Advance proficiency in use of and administration of the Canvas LMS or comparable learning management system
- Possess strong technical and problem-solving skills
- Possess strong planning, organizational, and time management skills
- Possess strong client-service, communication, collaboration, relationship building, and interpersonal skills
- Possess strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to lead projects, prioritize tasks, manage a complex workload, and use good judgment in providing services based on goals
Review of resumes will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. To apply, submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.