Holy Family University is proud to offer students a highly supportive learning environment that values their personal and professional goals. Students in our Communications program thrive in our small yet challenging learning environment. As with all of our bachelor’s degree programs, we believe providing opportunities for a hands-on experience beyond the classroom is a key component of your college education.
The Holy Family University Communications major studies the economic and cultural realities of the mass media industry. Communications students may select either the Social and Emerging Media or Public Relations track.
- The Social and Emerging Media track creates a Communications graduate who can expertly use social media, create targeted messages, and critically understand the media world.
- The Public Relations track creates a Communications graduate who can connect with audiences through multiple media, successfully plan and execute events, and generate publicity.
The goal of our Communications program is to engender competent and trustworthy media professionals. To that end, both tracks produce graduates with creative production skills, critical thinking aptitude, problem-solving proficiency, journalistic integrity, and knowledge of digital innovations.
Our students are able to create, produce, and use a variety of print, visual, and electronic media within a changing communications environment. Moreover, as refined throughout courses, their writing and journalistic skills are exemplary.
Our Communications Center, freshly renovated in 2017, is designed for students to fully explore their creativity and to cultivate professional skills, equipped with state-of-the-art technology including the latest models of computers, mobile devices, editing software, and other production tools.
- Guaranteed internship placement in the Philly-based media industry and beyond, with an option for more than one internship.
- Practical experience working on social media platforms.
- Field trips and community outreach events.
- Leadership opportunities in student clubs and the Communications honor society.
- Opportunities to present research at conferences under faculty guidance.
- Part-time or full-time flexibility: students can maintain full-time jobs while pursuing a degree.
- We highly value new media technology proficiency. To that end, several of our courses feature iPads, which the university provides for the semester. The student keeps the iPad for the semester, using it before, during, and after class.
Some of the exciting classes you may take include:
- Social Media Strategy
- Social Media Analytics
- Mobile Media
- Digital Design
- Public Relations
- Event Planning and Promotion
- Intro to Film: Theory and Practice
- Law and Ethics in Media
- Multi-Media Storytelling - see examples of student work
- Producing Innovative Media - see examples of student work
What Can You Do With This Major?
Our communication graduates find a wealth of opportunities in Philadelphia and around the nation and have wonderful success stories in careers that stretch the boundaries of the expected. Here are some of the positions our graduates hold:
- Sales and Marketing Assistant, Clear Channel Outdoor
- Assistant Brand Manager, Just Play Products
- Account Executive Assistant, Leo Burnett Advertising
- Assistant Account Executive, SmartMark Communications
- Content Writer, 1SEO Digital Agency
- Member, Disney College Program
- Franchise Sales Associate, Rita's Water Ice
- Game Presentation Coordinator, Philadelphia Flyers
- Writer/Editor, The Sports Network
- Promotions Director, SportsRadio 94 WIP
- Marketing Assistant and Association Coordinator, Lower Bucks Family YMCA
- Marketing Coordinator, Firstrust Bank
- Project Manager, Pharmaceutical Industry
- Search Manager, Razorfish Healthware
- Marketing Manager, DVL Group, Inc.
- Group & Events Manager, The Funplex
- Senior Content Editor, Dealnews.com
- Business Writer, Vertical Screen
- Licensed Camera Operator, International Sound Corporation
- Criminal Judicial Clerk, Bucks County
- Assistant Department Manager for General Merchandise, Barnes & Noble College
- Recruiter/Campus Minister, St. Vincent Academy Newark, NJ
Communications students enrich their learning with real-world experience through Holy Family's nationally recognized internship program. Our students choose among a wide range of employers to intern with, such as:
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Q102 FM
- KYW TV-3
- NBC 10
- Parx Racing
- Center City Film & Video
- Connor Communications
- Fangoria Entertainment, Inc.
- Greater North Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce
- SmartMark Communications
- Visit Bucks County