Students in teacher preparation programs will find important information on this page related to the Practicum experience. The Pennsylvania Department of Education refers to the Practicum stage in teacher preparation as Stage 3 (Junior year).
The eligibility requirements for Practicum are detailed in the Undergraduate and Graduate catalog. Candidates are referred to these documents for details.
Clearance Requirements & Practicum Application
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania's School Code requires that students in teacher preparation programs have current background checks. Candidates for Practicum must have current clearances on file with American DataBank before entering a school building. Visit the link below for information on required clearances and the registration process.
The Holy Family University student is expected to conduct him/herself in a proper and professional manner whenever visiting a school site and/or interacting with school personnel, students, family members and/or community members. Failure to meet this requirement will subject the student to University intervention up to and including the possibility of removal from the teacher preparation program. For more information on Commonwealth requirements click below.
Program Outcomes & Field Experience Competencies
School of Education (SOE) programs have specific learning outcomes embedded in their course work. Additionally, the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) has published competencies that are designed to inform the development of teacher preparation programs and the evaluation of students engaged in clinical experiences in the field. The competencies are organized under seven headings that parallel and extend the domains in Charlotte Danielson's framework for enhancing professional practice. Click below to view the SOE program outcomes and the PDE competencies for the Practicum stage (Stage 3).
Practicum Student Handbook
The below link is to the Practicum Student Handbook for the academic year 2019-2020. This handbook contains information useful to the practicum student, cooperating teacher, and University supervisor.
Practicum Student Handbook Forms
The forms in the Practicum Student Handbook for 2019-2020 are presented below as links organized by targeted user.
For the Student:
- Code of Professional Practice and Conduct for Educators
- Clearance Requirements
- Practicum Student Emergency Contact Information
- Practicum Student Requirements
- Practicum Student Requirements Due Dates
- Daily Lesson Plan Template
- Daily Lesson Plan Reflection Form
- Experienced Teacher Observation Analysis Guide
- Choice Project Proposal
- Choice Project Reflection
- Template for Child Development Reflection
- Self Assessment Professional Development Form
For the Cooperating Teacher:
For the University Supervisor:
- Lesson Observation Form, Long Format
- Lesson Observation Form Narrative Format
- Lesson Observation Form Quadrant Format
- End-of-Semester Documentation Form
- Practicum Student Evaluation & Grading Form
- Practicum Student Performance Improvement Plan