Holy Family University is proud to offer students a highly supportive learning environment that values their personal and professional goals. Students in our early education major in Philadelphia thrive in our small yet challenging learning environment. We believe in educating beyond the classroom and providing opportunities for hands-on experience, which is a key component of your college education.
Early Childhood PK–4 Certification: You may seek certification in Early Childhood PK–4 education. Specific emphasis is placed on the cognitive, emotional, physical, and social development of infants, toddlers, preschoolers, kindergartners, and children in the primary grades.
Courses and field experiences in this program lead to the Pennsylvania Instructional I Certificate in PK–4, which enables you to teach preschool through grade 4.
Program highlights include:
- Foundations of Education
- Child Development and Learning
- Educational Psychology
- Introduction to Early Childhood Education
- Engaging Learners Through the Arts
- Inclusive Education for All Learners
- Math, Science, Social Students and Literacy Methods
- Positive Management Strategies
Adding Grade Levels to your PK-4 Teaching Certification
You can build on your PK-4 teaching certificate to add Grades 5-6 or Grades 4-8 by taking tests that focus solely on content. Through this option in Pennsylvania, you can expand your PK-4 certification to PK-6 or PK-8.
- Adding Grades 5-6: To add Grades 5-6, you will be tested on content knowledge in the areas of mathematics, science, English and language arts, and social studies. You may use any of your electives in the PK-4 program to take courses that could strengthen your knowledge in preparation for the test.
- Adding Grades 4-8: To add Grades 4-8, the content tests will be the same as for Grades 5-6: mathematics, science, English and language arts, and social studies. In addition, you will also select a content specialization (one of the four listed) and you will be tested further on that content. You may use any of your electives in the PK-4 program to take courses that could strengthen your knowledge in preparation for the test.
Built in 2004, the state-of-the-art Education & Technology Center was designed for one purpose—to train teachers. The facility features the most advanced equipment, including total wireless capability, live video conferencing, and translation capabilities for conferences. Along with general-purpose classrooms, the facility also features four specialized classrooms for the teaching of reading, science and math, early childhood, middle level, and special education.
We strongly believe in placing students into the field and into as many different classroom environments as possible. Our comprehensive field placement program, unmatched in its amount and variety of field experiences, starts with freshman year and continues until graduation.
Freshman and Sophomore Year—Observations
In your first and second years you will begin visiting and experiencing a wide variety of teaching environments. You will write reflections on your observations and discuss these in class. In addition you will learn how to write lesson plans and will even have the opportunity to teach a few lessons in actual classrooms!
Junior Year—The Practicum
In your third year, in what is called “Practicum,” your experience will increase. You’ll be placed one day a week, for a full day, in a school working in a classroom with a teacher. You’ll do assignments, write lesson plans, teach several classes, and work with technology in the classroom.
Senior Year—Student Teaching
In your final year, as required by the Pennsylvania Department of Education, you’ll do your “Student Teaching”—a full-time supervised student teaching semester in which you basically take over a class.
Partner School Districts
School districts working with our early education majors in the Philadelphia area include:
- Archdiocese of Philadelphia
- Bristol Borough
- Bristol Township
- Central Bucks
- Council Rock
- Mount Laurel
- New Hope-Solebury
- School District of Philadelphia
- and many, many more