Community Referrals/Off Campus Treatment

Counseling Services Referral Support

Some students may benefit from meeting with a Counselor in the community due to the specific nature of their concerns or if their concerns are best addressed outside of the Counseling Center’s short-term treatment model. Counseling Services can assist you in how to go about finding a community provider.


Steps to Connect with a Provider Off-Campus:
  • If you would have medical insurance and will be using it for treatment, then start by calling your insurance carrier. Their number is typically found on the back of our insurance card.
  • Call your Member Services line and request referrals for Behavioral Health Counseling (ask for a Licensed Marriage and Family Counselor, Licensed Clinical Social Worker, or Licensed Psychologist).
  • Ask what your behavioral health benefits cover (i.e. in network, out of network benefits, session limits) and what you are responsible for paying (i.e. co-pay, deductible, percentage of the cost for certain services).
  • You can also use Psychology Today to find referrals based on a specific specialty or insurance plan.
  • Call the providers recommended to you by your insurance carrier. The Counseling Center can find potential referrals for you but cannot be certain that they are covered by your insurance carrier. All insurance carriers are different.
  • Inform the provider of your need, availability to meet, and type of insurance.
  • Schedule an intake/first appointment.
  • Ask questions to see if the provider will match your needs (i.e. What is their experience with your concern? What type of treatment do they provide?)
  • After you have your appointment, if it is not a good fit, you will begin this process again. The Counseling Center can assist you with this process if you have difficulty connecting to a provider.


Finding a Mental Health Provider in Your Community

When you search for a mental health provider you will notice there are multiple credentials that fall under that category of behavioral health services which is another way of saying mental health services. Providers of mental health services include: psychiatrists, psychologists (Psy.D. and Ph.D.), master’s level or licensed clinical Counselors (LPC) and social workers (LCSW), and marriage and family Counselors (LMFT). Each of these providers have slightly different educational experiences, years of training, and perspectives on mental health. They may even provide different treatment services, but each can offer you expert recommendations related to your mental health concerns. Remember that credentials are the initial requirement, but a large part treatment success is finding someone who you feel comfortable working with. It typically takes a few visits to feel comfortable with sharing your personal information with someone and may take even more sessions to really feel that the things you are doing in treatment are helping. Treatment is a commitment to yourself that takes effort. Treatment can also have a great impact on your quality of life.


If you need help at any time connecting to a Counselor in the community, please contact the Counseling Center and we would be happy to assist you.