Posted: May 27, 2022
Reporting to the Director of Health Services, the Medical Assistant will work with a dynamic team of wellness professionals, support primary health care for its students, and oversee the daily operations of the Health Services Clinic. The Medical Assistant will support health promotion and wellness education to Holy Family University students.
The Medical Assistant will be the primary patient intake and front office personnel. The position requires problem solving, capability of working autonomously, daily communication with the campus community and an ability to collaborate effectively with the Director of Health Services and a consulting physician, as needed. This person is a key member of the wellness education team and supports programming, outreach and workshop engagement on important topics for health and wellness.
The Medical Assistant takes appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participates in the University’s efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment. This person interacts daily with patients, must understand and promote patient rights, and is expected to communicate discreetly and confidentially. The Medical Assistant is tasked with maintaining a welcoming and supportive environment, and may be asked to participate in committees and division-wide committees as appropriate. This role contributes to a positive university experience for every student. The Medical Assistant must understand the mission of Catholic Higher education and be committed to the core values, mission, goals, and objectives of Holy Family University.
Available immediately, this part-time position will work with the Director of Health Services to develop a work schedule that best supports the day-to-day operations of the Health Clinic,12-months 18-20 hours per week.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to
- Assess students’ health status; identifies acute, chronic and emergency needs; and makes appropriate referrals for students requiring medical care to the providers, area urgent care centers or medical specialists in the community as needed.
- Provides administrative support functions to Health Services, including but not limited to database support, data entry, report development, appointment scheduling and follow-up, filing, and monitoring records.
- Complete the patient intake processes and collect insurance and billing information.
- Distribute medication, follow Health Services standing orders, run diagnostics and patient testing.
- Answer phone calls and assist as appropriate with questions, concerns and appointment information.
- Verifies vaccination information to assure compliance for all full-time incoming undergraduate and graduate students. Coordinates with Residence Life Staff and University Athletics regarding compliance with residential vaccination and health record compliance.
- Acts as a liaison between Health Services and other University areas.
- Assists with coordination of COVID-19 vaccination and Flu clinics.
- Coordinate the Director’s schedule and provide project support to Health Service priority areas.
- Guide students through healthcare systems, available insurance processes, and self-advocacy for health and wellness.
- Support the triage of any emergencies and assists with calling/coordinating with Public Safety, family members and other personnel, as appropriate.
- Support the planning, development, and execution of outreach events and training workshops for Wellness Services. Additional duties may include connecting with and coordinating community organizations who collaborate for wellness events.
- Performs/assists with COVID testing and monitoring according to the guidelines of the CDC and Philadelphia Department of Public Health.
- Counsels and educates patients about COVID-19 mitigation.
- Counsels and educates patients about health behaviors, self-care skills, and treatment options.
- Assess actual or potential hazards and current health status, including health behavior related to life style and culture.
- Provides emergency and/or acute care for specific students as directed.
- Provides follow up services to students treated in the Health Clinic as indicated.
- Maintains confidential records according to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996(HIPPA).
- Adheres to the requirements of the collaborating physician agreement.
- Communicates with the local and state health departments for any issues or concerns affecting the campus community (i.e. Reporting communicable diseases, contact tracing).
- Maintains medical records using Dr. Chrono EMR system.
- Provide safe care to the student body and follow Pennsylvania Health Laws and other pertinent regulations governing the operation of Health Services.
- Certified Medical Assistant required.
- Associate’s degree with LPN preferred.
- Experience contact tracing cases of COVID-19 desirable. Certification course in Contact Tracing preferred.
- Experience in college health, emergency room, public health, school health, or another outpatient setting. Experience working in an educational environment preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of and ability to follow university policies and procedures.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the campus community.
- Able to clearly articulate the functions of Health Services, explain purposes of the health clinic, answer questions about services, identify applicable services for students, and make appropriate referrals to other offices within the university and outside agencies.
- Understanding of wellness, illness prevention, and health promotion.
- Experience and competency in health education and health promotion programs and activities.
- Understand CDC Guidelines regarding COVID-19.
- Collaborative liaison skills in order to work effectively with a multidisciplinary team at University Health Services, University administrators, faculty, and other community partners.
- Strong assessment and critical thinking skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Comfortable working autonomously.
- Maintains consistent and positive customer relations, responding to requests in an efficient and timely manner.
- Ability to work with students and staff from culturally diverse backgrounds.
Qualified candidates are invited to apply by sending a cover letter that addresses the responsibilities and requirements described above and desired salary, and resume to email@example.com. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.