Accounts and Financial Obligations
Prior to graduation, students must satisfy their financial obligations to Holy Family University, including all account balances, graduation fees, parking violations, and library fees. If account balances are not paid in full, requests for transcripts and diplomas will not be granted. Questions regarding financial obligations should be directed to:
Office of Student Accounts
Holy Family Hall Room 202
Cap and Gown
Students participating in the Commencement Ceremony must wear full academic attire: cap with tassel, gown, and hoods. Cap and gown are provided to students without cost. However, orders must be placed by March 21, 2022 through Herff Jones.
Etiquette, Protocols and Processional
Commencement is a significant moment for graduates. It marks a pinnacle of achievement. Holy Family University celebrates the occasion with formal pomp and circumstance. To ensure the dignity and solemnity of this occasion, please be mindful of the following:
- Arrive on Time: Graduates should arrive no later than 8:30 a.m. for the 9:30 a.m. Graduate ceremony and 11:30 a.m. for the 12:30 p.m. Undergraduate ceremony.
- Clothing: Graduates and guests should wear appropriate business attire and comfortable shoes since they will be going up and down steps and onto the stage.
- Personal Possessions: Graduates are advised not to bring personal Possessions - purses, cameras, cell phones and other electronic devices.
- Flowers, Balloons, Horns: Balloons, horns, and noisemakers of any kind are prohibited. Flowers should not be presented or worn until after the ceremony.
- Cell Phones, Electronic Devices and Cameras: Cell phone and electronic devices are not to be used. Tripods and recording devices are not to be used. No person may approach the stage for any reason.
- Applauding: Graduates and guests should refrain from applauding and cheering until the names of all the graduates are announced.
- Food, Beverage, and Smoking: No food or beverages are permitted. The Kimmel Center is a smoke-free facility.
- Photographs: Professional photographers will take photos of graduates receiving their diplomas. These photos will be available for purchase.
Graduates should check-in with the Information Table to be directed to the procession assembly point.
Robing and Procession
Graduates will be helped with robing and given a name card. During the ceremony, the name card is handed to the administrator at the podium who will announce the graduate's name to the audience.
- At both Commencement Ceremonies, the Dean of each school will announce the names of the degree recipients.
- The graduates will walk to the right steps of the stage
- Once on the stage, the name of each graduate is announced.
- The graduate will walk across the stage, receive their diploma folder and shake hands with the President and continue to the left of the stage, down the left steps and back to their seats.
- When all the graduates have received their diploma folders and are seated, the Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs will instruct the graduates to turn their tassels from the right side to the left.
Correctly announcing the names of our Graduates requires knowing the correct pronunciation. Graduates with uncommon pronunciations are encouraged to provide a phonetic spelling or pronunciation key.