RG 00.04.00 | Collection: Annals 1954-1987
Repository: Holy Family University Archives
Title: Collection on the History of Holy Family University
ID: RG 00.04
Date: Inclusive dates 1957-ongoing
Extent: 19.5 Linear feet
General Physical Description: Individual annals are contained in 38 3-ring loose leaf binders, each 3 inches in width. Each page within the binders is inserted into a sheet protector. In general, the contents are well preserved and in good condition.
Language of Records: Most material in Annals is in English. Some items, particularly news clippings from the 1950s and 1960s, are written in Polish.
Abstract: Annals is a multi-genre collection documenting the annual activities of Holy Family College during its first thirty-three years. The collection was compiled by Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth at St. Joseph’s Hall who made deliberate attempts to document Holy Family’s activities through a variety of genre and media. The principal sources of the material in Annals were donations from individual staff and faculty, as well as transfers from various offices of the institution.
Preferred Citation: Preferred citation for this material is: [Identification of item], in Holy Family University Annals, University Archives, Holy Family University.
Holy Family College’s founding Sisters were very interested in documenting the College’s early history. One means they used was to acquire, preserve, and arrange miscellaneous materials by year; these were enclosed in sheet protectors and assembled in loose leaf binders. Despite changes in personnel throughout the years, individual Sisters continued the effort until 1987. One notable individual in this effort was Sister M. Lucidia Drag who, almost exclusively, compiled and arranged materials for the final years. Annals was discontinued after 1987 due to the growth of the University Archives, duplication of information in other collections, and inadequate staff to continue acquiring and compiling material for the series.
Scope and Contents
Annals consists of 31 volumes ranging from 1954-1987. The collection includes programs, flyers, news clippings, ephemera, photographs, and miscellaneous other items documenting specific events in Holy Family’s history. The materials are assembled in individual sheet protectors arranged chronologically by event in 3-ring loose leaf binders. Binders are 3" in width, and each year is documented in one or two binders - depending on the amount of material for the respective year. The collection does not include comprehensive information; rather, it provides a good overview of significant events for a given year. Some of the material provides specific lead information that may be useful to a researcher attempting to locate information in other more comprehensive collections.
Annals is arranged chronologically in dedicated loose leaf binders, generally one year per binder. Volumes 1-16 are arranged roughly by academic year (fall semester through spring semester). Subsequent volumes are arranged by calendar year.
Holy Family University Archives March 14, 2015
9801 Frankford Avenue
Philadelphia, PA, 19114-2009
Contact the University Archives for an appointment to use these records. There are no access restrictions on this collection.
Legal Status note
These records are the property of Holy Family University.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright is retained by Holy Family University or other creators of items in these records/papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law. Please contact the University Archives with requests for copying and for authorization to publish, quote or reproduce the material.
In several volumes, original photographs have been replaced by copies and transferred to the area of the closed stacks reserved for photographs. Those in volume 1 for the 1950s-early 1960s are interfiled in Founders Collection.
Controlled Access Headings
- Geographic Name(s)
- Campus activities and participatory groups
- Universities and colleges
- Volume I inclusive dates 1954-1956
- Volume Ia inclusive dates 1956-1957
- Volume II inclusive dates 1957-1958
- Volume III inclusive dates 1958-1959
- Volume IV inclusive dates 1959-1960
- Volume V inclusive dates 1960-1961
- Volume VI inclusive dates 1961-1962
- Volume VII inclusive dates 1962-1963
- Volume VIII inclusive dates 1963-1964
- Volume VIIIa inclusive dates 1963-1964
- Volume IX inclusive dates 1964-1954
- Volume IXa inclusive dates 1964-1954
- Volume X inclusive dates 1965-1966
- Volume Xa inclusive dates 1965-1966
- Volume XI inclusive dates 1966-1967
- Volume XIa inclusive dates 1966-1967
- Volume XII inclusive dates December 1967-May 1968
- Volume XIIa inclusive dates May 1968-November 1968
- Volume XIII inclusive dates November 1968-March 1969
- Volume XIIIa inclusive dates March 1969-September 1969
- Volume XIV inclusive dates September 1969-August 1970
- Volume XV inclusive dates September 1970-August 1971
- Volume XVI inclusive dates September 1971-December 1972
- Volume XVII inclusive dates 1973
- Volume XVIII inclusive dates 1974
- Volume XIX inclusive dates 1975
- Volume XX inclusive dates 1976
- Volume XXI inclusive dates 1977
- Volume XXII inclusive dates 1978
- Volume XXIII inclusive dates 1979
- Volume XXIV inclusive dates 1980
- Volume XXV inclusive dates 1981
- Volume XXVI inclusive dates 1982
- Volume XXVII inclusive dates 1983
- Volume XXVIII inclusive dates 1984
- Volume XXIX inclusive dates 1985
- Volume XXX inclusive dates 1986
- Volume XXXII inclusive dates 1987