International Students: Admissions

Admissions for International Student


All newly admitted International students need to complete all required steps related to an F-1 or J-1 status.

Obtain your Visa and plan travel to the US

If you are living outside the US you must obtain a passport from your government.

Upon receiving your initial I-20 or DS-2019, schedule a visa appointment with the nearest US Embassy or Consulate to apply for an F-1 or J-1 visa. The following documents will be needed for this appointment.

  • Your completed nonimmigrant visa application and related fee payment (Form DS-160, Fee $160.00)
  • Receipt confirming payment for the SEVIS form I-901 (
  • A valid passport that is valid for at least six months when seeking admission or readmission to the US
  • Two passport-size photos
  • Financial evidence detailing the source and amount of funding so that the immigration officer can determine if financial support exists and is sufficient to cover your entire stay in the United States
  • An official academic transcript evaluated by World Education Services (WES) and proof of admission to Holy Family University
  • Proof of English proficiency may be required (TOEFL/SAT)
  • Be able to explain concisely the reasons you want to study in the US and state clearly that your reason for coming to the US is to study, not to find employment
  • If your spouse and children are remaining behind in your home country, be prepared to prove how they will support themselves in your absence. If they are accompanying you to the US be prepared to show proof of adequate funding

For more information visit the DHS website "Study in the States", or


Individuals with F-1 and J-1 visa status should report to Holy Family University within 15 days of the program start date for the semester. Copies of the following documents should be submitted to the International Affairs Office at that time.

  • F-1 Students
    • A photo copy of your signed Initial I-20 (signature at the bottom of page 1)
    • A copy of your electronic I-94
    • F-1 visa page (photo copy)
    • Passport biographical page (photo copy)
    • Passport expiration date page (photo copy)
    • Proof of International accident and medical insurance for F-1 and F-2 status for duration of stay
  • J-1 Students/Scholars
    • A photo copy of your signed DS-2019
    • A copy of your electronic I-94
    • J-1 visa page (photo copy)
    • Passport biographical page (photo copy)
    • Passport expiration date page (photo copy)
    • Proof of International accident and medical insurance for J-1 and J-2 status for duration of stay

Orientation for International Students

All new international exchange, undergraduate, and graduate students/scholars are asked to attend the international orientation sponsored by the Office for International Affairs at the beginning of each semester. The orientation will be an information meeting about American customs and lifestyles, American classroom culture, visa and immigration issues, as well as facts about Philadelphia and Northeast Philadelphia where Holy Family University is located.

Student Identification Card

Students are issued an official student identification card during their first semester attending Holy Family University. ID cards are necessary for the use of the library and sports facilities and must be available for presentation while the student is on campus. University ID cards can be obtained from Rm. 105 in the ETC building. There is no charge for the initial card; however, the cost for replacing a lost ID card is $10.00.